Dan Flath’s Professional Experience
- B.S., Electrical Engineering, Southern Methodist University, 1972
- M.S., Electrical Engineering, Southern Methodist University, 1972
- M.A., Mathematics, Harvard University, 1974
- Ph.D., Mathematics, Harvard University, 1977
- Data Science, a 10 course specialization, Johns Hopkins University/Coursera, 2014
- Independent Mathematical Consultant, June 2017-Present date
- University of Minnesota – Twin Cities, Jan 2017-May 2017
- Macalester College, 2002-Dec 2016
- IMA Interdisciplinary Research for Undergraduates, Minneapolis, Summers 2009, 2010, 2012
- Institute for Mathematics and its Applications, Minneapolis, Sept-Dec 2008
- University of South Alabama, 1989-2002
- Centre de Recerca Matemàtica, Bellaterra, Spain, 1996-1997
- Rutgers, 1988-1989
- National University of Singapore, 1984-1987
- Duke University, 1977-1984
- Université Paris 7, 1978-1979
Winner of 2014 MAA North Central Section Award for Distinguished College or University Teaching of Mathematics (Mathematical Association of America)
- Decomposition of representations into tensor products, Automorphic Forms, Representations, and L-Functions, Proceedings of Symposia in Pure Mathematics 33, Part I, American Mathematical Society,
Providence, R.I., 1979, pp179-183.
- Atkin-Lehner operators, Mathematische Annalen 246 (1980), 121-123.
- A comparison of the automorphic representations of GL(3) and its twisted forms, Pacific Journal of Mathematics 97 (1981), 373-402.
- The Clebsch-Gordan formulas, L’Enseignement Mathématique 29 (1983), 339-346.
- On the structure of tensor operators in SU(3) (with L.C.Biedenharn), Communications in Mathematical Physics 93 (1984), 143-169.
- On so(8) and the tensor operators of sl(3), Bulletin of the American Mathematical Society 10 (1984), 97-100.
- Tensor operators as an extension of the universal enveloping algebra (with L.C.Biedenharn), Group Theoretical Methods in Physics, Lecture Notes in Physics 201, Springer, New York, 1984, pp486-493.
- Beyond the enveloping algebra of sl(3) (with L.C.Biedenharn), Canadian Journal of Mathematics 37 (1985), 710-729.
- An analogue of the Weyl algebra, Algebraic Geometry Seminar (Proceedings of the Algebraic Geometry Seminar, Singapore, 1987) (M.Nagata and T.A.Peng, eds.), World Scientific, Singapore, 1988, pp1-4.
- Decomposition of the enveloping algebra of sl(3), Journal of Mathematical Physics 31 (1990), 1076-1077.
- Remarks on tensor operators, Journal of Mathematical Physics 31 (1990), 1605-1609.
- Tensor operators I, the concept of a coherent tensor operator (with J.Towber), Communications in Algebra 18 (1990), 4047-4086.
- How to pick out the integers in the rationals: an application of number theory to logic (with S.Wagon), American Mathematical Monthly 9 (1991), 812-823.
- A carry theorem for rational binomial coefficients (with R.Peele), Applications of Fibonacci Numbers 4 (1991), 109-120.
- Generators and relations for the affine rings of the classical groups (with J.Towber), Communications in Algebra 20 (1992), 2877-2902.
- Tensor operators II, the algebra of tensor operators (with J.Towber), Communications in Algebra 20 (1992), 2903-2917.
- Fractal patterns derived from rational binomial coefficients (with R.Peele), Applications of Fibonacci Numbers 5 (1993), 221-228.
- Tensor operators III, some fundamental tensor operator identities (with J.Towber), Journal of Mathematical Physics 34 (1993), 1523-1547.
- Hausdorff dimension in Pascal’s triangle (with R.Peele), Applications of Fibonacci Numbers 5 (1993), 229-244.
- Coherent tensor operators, Lie Algebras, Cohomology and New Applications to Quantum Mechanics, Contemporary Mathematics 160, American Mathematical Society, Providence, R.I., 1994, pp75-84.
- Review of (Resources for Calculus, vol. 1-5, Roberts, A.Wayne, Project Director, Mathematical Association of America, Washington, D.C., 1993), The UMAP Journal 15 (1994), 86-89.
- Does the Moebius function determine multiplicative arithmetic? (with A.Zulauf), American Mathematical Monthly 102 (1995), 354-356.
- A Combinatorial Problem in the Representation Theory of SL(n) (with J.Towber), Annals of Combinatorics 4 (2000), 257-268.
- Rocket Math (with S.Wagon and C.Stoll), College Journal of Mathematics 35 (2004), 262-273.
- Finding a Hidden Coin (with S.Wagon), The UMAP Journal 27 (2006), 469-490.
- The Planar Rook Algebra and Pascal’s Triangle (with T.Halverson and K.Herbig), l’Enseignement Mathématique (2) 54 (2008), 1-16.
- The First Year of Calculus and Statistics at Macalester College (with T.Halverson, D.Kaplan, K.Saxe), Undergraduate Mathematics for the Life Sciences: Models, Processes, and Directions, (G.Ledder, J.P.Carpenter, and T.D.Comar, eds.), MAA Notes, MAA, 2013.
- Gravity-driven instability of a thin liquid film underneath a soft solid (with S.H.Lee, K.L.Maki, S.J.Weinstein, C.Kealey, W.Li, C.Talbot, S.Kumar), Physical Review E, 90 (2014), 053009.
- A role for engineering at a liberal arts college, Engineering Studies 7 (2015), 203-205.
- Introduction to Number Theory, Wiley, New York, 1988.
- Calculus, (with the Calculus Consortium based at Harvard), Wiley, New York, First ed. 1993, Second ed. 1998, Third ed. 2001, Fourth ed. 2004, Fifth ed. 2008, Sixth ed. 2012.
- The classical and quantum 6j-symbols, (with J.S.Carter and M.Saito), Princeton University Press, Princeton, 1995.
- Multivariable Calculus, (with the Calculus Consortium based at Harvard), Wiley, New York, 1995.
- Brief Calculus, Preliminary Edition, (with the Calculus Consortium based at Harvard), Wiley, New York, 1997.
- Applied Calculus, (with the Calculus Consortium based at Harvard), Wiley, New York, First ed. 1999, Second ed. 2002, Third ed. 2005, Fourth ed. 2009, Fifth ed. 2013.
- Conceptests for Calculus, (with the Calculus Consortium based at Harvard), Wiley, New York, 2002.
- Functions Modeling Change, (with the Calculus Consortium based at Harvard), Wiley, New York, Second ed. 2004, Third ed. 2007, Fourth ed. 2010, Fifth ed. 2014.
- Conceptests for Applied Calculus, (with the Calculus Consortium based at Harvard), Wiley, New York, 2006.