- Interpret functions as vector fields in the plane
- Use Mathematica to survey basic linear vector fields: sources, sinks, circles, spirals
- Sketch flowlines (streamlines) of a vector field
- Use Euler’s method to approximate a flowline.
- Write the differential equation satisfied by streamlines of a vector field
- Read Hughes-Hallett sections 7.3, 17.4
- Ponder Hughes-Hallett problems: 17.3: 1-6, 7, 11, 13, 17; 17.4: 4, 10, 15.
- Remember to bring your laptop to class
- Mathematica examples
- Draw vector fields and flow lines with Mathematica